We are always accepting applications for various positions. If you are interested in joining our team that provides construction services throughout the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Northern Wisconsin, and Minnesota, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Attn. HR Jobs
180 Traders Mine Road
PO Box 490
Iron Mountain, MI 49801
Gundlach Champion, the largest Upper Peninsula-based contractor, is currently seeking applicants looking to bring their knowledge, experience, and results-oriented thinking to a Project Manager position. In this role, you will provide overall leadership and management of one or more projects and ensure the goals and objectives of the client and Gundlach Champion are met within the schedule requirements and budget. You will report to the President and your role makes key decisions that can greatly impact corporate relationships with clients and profitability of projects.
Key Result Areas
- Safety: Zero Lost Time Accidents. This is accomplished by making sure all project managers and superintendents are in compliance with the company wide safety program, the safety programs of respective clients, and the active involvement in the safety reward and recognition program.
- Project Finances: The PM is responsible for managing all financial aspects of projects. This includes working with the Accounting Clerk on monthly job billings, reviewing and approving all internal and external project invoices and charges, tracking change orders, etc.
- Scheduling: The PM is responsible for developing a project schedule for each job with the assistance of the Project Engineer and Superintendent. The PM will use industry standards to create schedules in Microsoft Project and will keep the schedule updated on a regular basis to reflect actual start and finish dates.
- Subcontractor/ Vendor Management: The PM is responsible for managing subcontractors and vendors on each project to ensure their services, materials, and labor are provided at sufficient levels to maintain the project schedule and reduce any potential risk on the job. The PM is responsible for clarifying any scope discrepancies between different companies.
- Quality Control: The PM is responsible for inspecting installed work to ensure it complies with project requirements and is of quality workmanship. The PM is responsible for ensuring the Superintendent is scheduling the proper testing according to the Quality requirements in the project documents.
- Risk Management: The PM shall have a thorough understanding of the project documents, applicable prime and subprime contracts, schedule, and project finances to be able to identify any potential risks. The PM is responsible for mitigating those risks as much as possible through the appropriate corrective measures.
- Project Meetings: The PM is responsible for meeting monthly with the Project Owners and design team to discuss the job’s progress, cost, schedule, etc. The PM is also responsible for meeting on a regular basis with all subcontractors to discuss the project schedule, review scope changes, implement corrective measures to keep the project on schedule, etc.
- Change Management Process: The PM is responsible for overseeing the Project Engineer or Project Coordinator in the distribution of information related to potential cost impacts. The PM is responsible for reviewing change requests, change orders, and commitment change orders prior to their issuance by the Project Engineer or Project Coordinator to the necessary parties. The PM is also responsible for estimating any costs for GCI related work for changes in the work.
- Subject to drug screens for pre-employment, for cause, random, and suspicion
- Valid driver’s license
- Maintain knowledge of Gundlach Champion’s company values and strategic plan
- Knows, understands, and supports published corporate policies
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction
- Be able to smoothly handle a variety of situations and problems that may arise, sometimes several at a time, and either solve them or work with others involved in order to come to cooperative resolution
- Able to comprehend construction plans and specifications
- Represent Gundlach Champion, Inc. in a professional and polite manner in the community, with prospective clients, with current Owners, and other business contacts
- Display a strong work ethic
- Willing to take on new challenges or learning opportunities
- Be well organized and able to multitask
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Proficient with Technology
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Project
- Adobe Acrobat
- Cloud-based applications
- Wide format printers
- Timberline a plus
- Demonstrated extensive (10 years or more) experience of construction, finance, and management required
- Demonstrated experience managing projects with contracts valued at $10 million+
- Superior communication and social skills (tact, subtlety, influence, etc.) essential
- Bachelor of Sciences in Construction-related field or Associate’s Degree with experience
Incumbent will spend time in an office environment at a desk with computer and phone. The incumbent will also spend time at an active construction site in a job trailer with a desk or table to work at. Incumbent will be expected to wear the appropriate footwear, eye protection, and other essential PPE while in active construction areas. While in active construction areas, the incumbent will be exposed to a variety of working temperatures and weather such as, but not limited to, sunshine, heat, rain, snow, cold temperatures, humidity, and dust. Travel is required 50% of the time within the operational geographical region.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Steel Toe Boots (By Employee) – Required
- Eye Protection – Required
- Hearing Protection – Required
- Gloves – Required
- Hard Hat – Required
- Safety Vest – Required
- Fall Protection – Potentially Required
- Chemical Protection – Potentially Required
- High Visibility Clothing – Required
- All other equipment as hazards exist – Required
Work Hours (average)
This position is a full-time position. Incumbent will be expected to work 40 to 50 hours per week depending on project needs. Standard office hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm CST with a 1-hour lunch break.
Exempt Employee – Not Eligible for Overtime Pay
While performing the duties, the incumbent is regularly required to make use of close vision to read fine print, reports, schedules, estimates, spreadsheets, summaries, and other documents in either hard copy or computer monitor. Must be able to converse on the telephone and in person, use hands and fingers to write and type, prepare email messages with attached files, and use personal computers, smart phones, tablets, and calculators. The incumbent will periodically need to lift and/or carry heavy documents such as plans and specifications, weighing up to 30 pounds. The incumbent may also be required to occasionally sit, climb, crawl, kneel, bend, or reach above the shoulders for a variety of purposes to accomplish their everyday responsibilities. The incumbent will frequently be required to stand and walk.
Competitive pay will be offered based on experience.
Qualified applicants can apply by submitting your resume and list of references via email to email@example.com.
Gundlach Champion, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.